- Enterprise System Catalog
Enterprise System Catalog
Senate Bill 272
Approved on October 11, 2015, Senate Bill 272 adds a section to the California Public Records Act requiring local agencies to create a catalog of Enterprise Systems by July 1, 2016 with annual updates.
The Enterprise System (PDF) software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system that serves as an original source of data within an agency.
An Enterprise System does not include any of the following:
- Information Technology security systems, including firewalls and other cyber-security systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas or water or sewer functions.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges or analyzes.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by California Government Code Section 6254.19.
The following requirements for the Enterprise System Catalog is:
- Create a catalog of enterprise systems, containing:
- Current system product
- Current system vendor
- The department that is the prime custodian of the data
- A description of categories or types of data
- The frequency that system data is collected
- The frequency that system data is updated
- System’s purpose
- To make the catalog publicly available upon request
- To post the catalog in a prominent location on the agency’s website
If the public interest served by not disclosing the information described clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure, the local agency may instead provide a system name, brief title or identifier of the system.