How do I know if I have a septic system or am connected to the sewer main?

A check of where the main sewer line is and lateral records can help you determine if the structure is connected to the house. A customer can obtain this information by calling engineering at (909)453-6175 or in person at 397 Chandler Place.

If there is no sewer main adjacent to the property, the property is most likely not connected to the sewer system and is on septic.

If a sewer main is adjacent to the property and lateral records are found, the property may be connected. The only way to be sure the property is connected is to have a reputable plumbing contractor preform a dye test for the property owner. The City does not provide this service.

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a water service/s or upgrade my current service for my property?
2. After I pay my water invoice, who do I call to schedule water installation?
3. Once I receive my Engineering invoice, where do I make my payment?
4. How long does it take to process a water or sewer application after payment is accepted?
5. How much will my monthly bill for water and sewer be?
6. Do I need a fire service?
7. How can I obtain a fire flow test?
8. How do I connect the Public Sewer system and how much is it to connect?
9. What are Sewer Capacity fees?
10. Do I need a City Permit to do sewer lateral repair work on my property?
11. How often should my sewer lateral be cleaned?
12. How do I know if my sewer lateral needs repair or replacement?
13. Who owns and maintains my sewer lateral?
14. How do I know if I have a septic system or am connected to the sewer main?
15. I’m on a septic system, and it needs to be replaced. May I replace it with a new one?
16. How do I request water and/or Sewer Atlas Maps?